Monday, July 13, 2009

All Hail Divine


I have a confession to make. I LOVE Divine.
Cross dressing, bad acting, dog doo doo eating Divine.

For the sake of this blog entry I will be referring to Divine as he/him because Divine only got dragged up when he was performing. In fact Divine played male characters as well as female. Before Divine passed away he was signed to play a male character on the show "Married with Children". He never got there sadly.

I read the book "My son Divine" which (obviously) was written by his Mum. It really was a lovely book.
She was SO proud of her son no matter what he did (and if you have seen a John Waters movie you may understand the magnitude of that comment).

Divine came to prominence when John Waters used him as his muse for his very off beat movies. My favourite being "Female Trouble". This movie is nuts. There is no other way to describe it. To demostrate my comment here is a line from the movie: "I wouldn't suck your lousy dick if I was suffocating and there was oxygen in your balls!"

So of course I love it (sick twisted gal that I am).

I was watching the original version of "Hairspray" a few weeks ago. It was the first acting mainstream success that both he and John Waters enjoyed. Unfortunately a week after it premiered Divine was dead at the age of 42 from an enlarged heart. Whoopi Goldberg sent flowers and a card that read "See what a good review will do?"

During Divy's career he branched out into pop music. He most famously hooked up with Stock Aiken & Waterman for the song "You think you're a man".
This song reached number 8 in Australia mainly after his appearance on Countdown.

Here is Divy's performance on Countdown for "You think you're a man"

3 comments:

  1. Haha! Yep Divine ate dog crap for the movie Pink Flamingoes. Now THAT is dedication to your work....GROSS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    We've browsed through your reviews and thought that they are really original and interesting! We would like to invite you to publish your reviews on 7tavern.com, which provides an alternative platform for promising movie reviewers to showcase their talents. In addition, you'll find a growing community of bloggers who share the same passion for excellent movies! Based on the merit of your reviews, we intend to offer you exclusive publishing privileges on our website!

    Cheers,
    7tavern Team
    admin@7tavern.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by my page.
Have any thoughts?
Let me know.