Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Metallica One

Today's track brings back a lot of memories for me.

Mostly I go back to Year 9 Maths class where we had assigned seating. My seat was next to this boy who used to drum out Metallica and Slayer songs on his desk using his pencils.
Needless to say it drove me near balmy.

However one thing I have to thank this boy for was an introduction to Metallica's "One". When I first saw the video clip I think I was sombre for a good hour after. If you watch it I think you will understand what I am talking about.
The concept behind the song "One" was inspired by a book called "Johnny got his gun". The book is about a man who goes off to war (WWI) and gets hit by German artillery. He loses his limbs, sight, hearing and smell, leaving him a prisoner in his body (pretty uplifting story so far huh?)
The video clip for "One" was Metallica's first and it used the film adaptation of "Johnny got his gun" in the storyline.
If you want to take a look at the details for the movie which has now received cult status due to "One" go to IMDB.

"Johnny got his gun" has been remade recently. It stars that dude from the OC. You can take a look
here


2 comments:

  1. I never knew the story behind that video but remember being affected by it in a peculiar, slightly disturbing way when I first saw it. Always liked the song, but didn't really want to watch the video again. Now I know, I would actually like to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metallica actually owns the rights to the original "Johnny got his gun" movie which is why they used it so heavily for the clip. I haven't seen the movie myself but it looks as depressing as hell.. still intrigues me though :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by my page.
Have any thoughts?
Let me know.