Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A song about a font - German Bold Italic

When I talk to people who are fans of Kylie (Minogue) I always have to test how big of a fan they are because I am a smart arse :)

I ask if they know the song German Bold Italic.

To be honest most don't have a clue what I am talking about (I'm used to it by now. The voices in my head know what I am talking about though).

In case you are in this boat let me break it down for you.

There was a track in the 90's called "Groove is in the heart" by the band Deee lite.
Towa Tei who was one of the DJ's behind the band Deee lite collaborated with Kylie on this track. That is why you can hear samples from "Groove is in the heart" during the song.

This was during a period of Kylie's career where she left Mike Waterman (of Stock, Aitken, Waterman fame), changed record labels (to DeConstruction), and decided that she wanted to be an alternative artist (or something like that).
The public didn't take to it.
Neither did her new record company who dumped her after poor sales.


The film clip was directed by Kylie's boyfriend at the time Stephane Sednaoui.
Stephane has directed a number of music video's for various artists such as Jamiroquai, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Björk, and Depeche Mode to name just a few.

This clip looks a little low budget and it follows Kylie dressed as a Geisha through the streets of New York city. (I read "Memoirs of a Geisha" and I don't recall the Geisha's performing in a hot tub wearing a bikini...hmmm)

I can't say I am a huge fan of this track but any song that is written about a font has my mark. Fonts are the shizz y'all! If only Google Blogger could have decent fonts!!

Here is Kylie in her Geisha glory for German Bold Italic.



As a point of reference here is "Groove is in the heart"



Now for a Kylie track during this period that I actually like.
Kylie wrote this song about meeting Stephane Sednaoui. It is off the Impossible Princess album.

Kylie live in concert with Cowboy Style



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for popping by my page.
Have any thoughts?
Let me know.